The act of qualifying is called qualification. This verb, in turn, can refer to granting certain qualities to something or someone; to provide training; or to detail modes, characteristics or conditions.
For example: “The government announced that financial consultants must accredit their qualification before offering their services ”, “Our institution carries out qualification activities throughout the year”, “The qualification and quantification of certain social problems are complex”.
The idea of qualification is often used with respect to vocational training. When a person is qualified for a job, he has the necessary knowledge to carry out the task efficiently.
This type of qualification can arise from academic study, specialist instruction or experience. Usually these factors combine to allow someone to be qualified for a job.
- Abbreviationfinder: Find definitions of English word – Institute. Commonly used abbreviations related to word are also included.
It is important to keep in mind that qualification is dynamic : an individual must be constantly trained to remain qualified. Otherwise, your knowledge of him may become outdated.
A 24-year-old who is an engineer, speaks four languages and has five years of work experience in a multinational company is a skilled worker. On the other hand, a 50-year-old man who did not finish high school and who worked formally for just five years does not have a good qualification to progress in the labor market.
When we speak specifically of professional qualification, we can define it as the set that brings together the relevant professional skills for a given job, which can be acquired through training or work experience itself. The concept of professional competence refers to all the knowledge and skills necessary to carry out a particular activity, according to the requirements of employers and production.
The professional qualification has its own structure, which is divided into the following four points:
* name : it is related to the main function, although it is not indicative of the professional category. It must be possible to recognize it in the sector to which it belongs;
* level : there are three possible ones, and its determination takes place according to the degree of autonomy, complexity and responsibility that are needed to carry out the work activity ;
* competence : each qualification is associated with a general competence, in which the functions and tasks that are essential for a professional in the field in question are briefly defined;
* professional environment : is the description of the professional environment in which the activity is carried out. It is necessary to specify the type of organization, the service or the area within it, the productive sectors, the jobs and the occupations that are relevant.
Qualifications are organized into so-called competency units, which are the minimum aggregates of knowledge and skills that can be recognized and accredited. Each of the units is related to a training module, which describes the minimum level of training and reference to be able to acquire it. With this structure it is possible to evaluate each worker and credit his units, which he can obtain by different means, as mentioned above.
Many times the idea of qualification is opposed to the notion of quantification. While qualifying is linked to the qualities of something, quantifying refers to quantities.
There is confusion between this term and qualification, which often leads to the use of one instead of the other. However, it is important to point out that the meaning of the latter is different, since it refers to the degree of a given scale (which is expressed through a score or a denomination) that a person can receive to assess the level that has achieved in a test, an exercise or an exam.