Scarborough, Maine is a town of approximately 22,500 people located in Cumberland County. The town is situated along the coast of Maine, with the Scarborough River bordering it to the east and the Atlantic Ocean to the south. It is known for its beautiful beaches, which are popular tourist attractions in the summer months. The climate in Scarborough is typically mild and temperate with average temperatures ranging from 45-75 degrees Fahrenheit throughout the year. Check whicheverhealth for information about Alna, Maine.
The history of Scarborough dates back to 1636 when it was first settled by English colonists. Since then, Scarborough has been an integral part of Maine’s rich history and culture. In 1777, during the Revolutionary War, a major battle between British forces and American settlers took place in what is now modern day Scarborough. Later on in 1858, Scarborough became an independent town after separating from neighboring Saco.
Politics wise, Scarborough leans towards being a more conservative area with many Republican representatives at both local and state levels. Economically speaking, Scarborough has a diverse economic base with many businesses ranging from retail stores to manufacturing companies providing jobs for locals as well as tourists during peak seasons.. Education wise there are several public schools within the town limits as well as several private schools such as St Paul’s School and Cheverus High School located nearby.
Scarborough also has many historic landmarks such as Fort McClary State Park which served as an important defense station during both Revolutionary War and War of 1812; Pine Point Beach which was once a popular destination for families looking to enjoy some rest and relaxation; Prouts Neck which is home to Winslow Homer’s studio; and Higgins Beach which features a boardwalk that stretches across most of its length. All these landmarks are great places for locals or visitors alike to explore when visiting this picturesque part of Maine!
Population: 16,970. Estimated population in July 2020: 18,897 (+11.4% change)
Males: 8,296 (48.9%), Females: 8,674 (51.1%)
Median resident age: 38.8 years
Median household income: $56,491
Median house value: $159,800
Races in Scarborough:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.1%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
Ancestries: English (24.0%), Irish (21.8%), French (12.4%), German (10.1%), Italian (9.0%), French Canadian (7.9%).
Elevation: 17 feet
Land area: 5.0 square miles
Scarborough, Maine is a town of approximately 20,000 people located in the southern part of the state. It is an attractive area for many due to its proximity to Portland and the Atlantic Ocean. The town has a moderate cost of living, with housing costs slightly lower than the national average. Most residents own their homes and many commute to Portland or other nearby areas for work. Scarborough offers a variety of housing options, from single-family homes to apartments and condominiums. There are also several retirement communities in the area. The median home value in Scarborough is around $300,000 and monthly rent typically ranges between $1,000 – $1,500. Utilities such as electricity and natural gas are relatively inexpensive compared to other parts of Maine. For entertainment, there are plenty of parks and trails for outdoor activities as well as local restaurants and shops. The town also hosts several annual festivals such as the Scarborough Art Walk and Taste of Scarborough that bring people together from all over the state to celebrate local artistry and cuisine. Overall, Scarborough is a great place to live with affordable costs that make it attractive for both families and retirees alike!
For population 25 years and over in Scarborough
- High school or higher: 93.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 38.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 12.3%
- Unemployed: 1.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 20.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Scarborough town
- Never married: 19.4%
- Now married: 63.0%
- Separated: 1.1%
- Widowed: 5.8%
- Divorced: 10.6%
2.8% Foreign born (1.2% Europe, 1.0% North America, 0.4% Asia).
Hospitals/medical centers near Scarborough:
- SPRING HARBOR HOSPITAL (about 5 miles; SOUTH PORTLAND, ME)
- MAINE MEDICAL CENTER (about 6 miles; PORTLAND, ME)
- NEW ENGLAND REHAB HOSPITAL OF PORTLAND (about 6 miles; PORTLAND, ME)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Scarborough:
- PORTLAND INTL JETPORT (about 4 miles; PORTLAND, ME; Abbreviation: PWM)
- BRUNSWICK NAS (about 35 miles; BRUNSWICK, ME; Abbreviation: NHZ)
- PEASE INTERNATIONAL TRADEPORT (about 50 miles; PORTSMOUTH, NH; Abbreviation: PSM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Scarborough:
- BIDDEFORD MUNI (about 14 miles; BIDDEFORD, ME; Abbreviation: B19)
- LIMINGTON-HARMON (about 26 miles; LIMINGTON, ME; Abbreviation: 63B)
- SANFORD REGIONAL (about 30 miles; SANFORD, ME; Abbreviation: SFM)
Amtrak stations near Scarborough:
- 6 miles: PORTLAND (100 THOMPSON POINT ROAD). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, ATM.
- 7 miles: OLD ORCHARD BEACH (11 FIRST ST.) – Seasonal Station. Services: ticket office, public payphones.
- 11 miles: SACO (130 MAIN ST.). Services: ticket office.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Scarborough:
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MAINE (about 8 miles; PORTLAND, ME; Full-time enrollment: 7,381)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW ENGLAND-UNIVERSITY CAMPUS (about 12 miles; BIDDEFORD, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,251)
- SAINT JOSEPHS COLLEGE (about 20 miles; STANDISH, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,376)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE-MAIN CAMPUS (about 54 miles; DURHAM, NH; Full-time enrollment: 12,586)
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE AT AUGUSTA (about 65 miles; AUGUSTA, ME; Full-time enrollment: 3,172)
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE AT FARMINGTON (about 76 miles; FARMINGTON, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,229)
- NORTHERN ESSEX COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 76 miles; HAVERHILL, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,388)
Public high school in Scarborough:
- SCARBOROUGH HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 931; Location: 20 GORHAM ROAD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in Scarborough:
- DAY SCHOOL (Students: 15; Location: 136 U S ROUTE ONE STE 1; Grades: 5 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Scarborough:
- SCARBOROUGH MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 805; Location: 44 GORHAM ROAD; Grades: 06 – 08)
- BENJAMIN WENTWORTH INTERMEDIATE (Students: 779; Location: 40 GORHAM ROAD; Grades: 03 – 05)
- BLUE POINT SCHOOL (Students: 301; Location: 174 PINE POINT RD PO BOX 370; Grades: KG – 02)
- EIGHT CORNERS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 220; Location: 22 MUSSEY RD PO BOX 370; Grades: KG – 02)
- PLEASANT HILL SCHOOL (Students: 204; Location: 143 HIGHLAND AVE PO BOX 370; Grades: KG – 02)
Private primary/middle schools in Scarborough:
- FUTURE BUILDER’S INC (Students: 56; Location: 15 HOLLY STREET; Grades: UG – UG)
- TODDLE INN CHILD CARE (Students: 12; Location: 9 LINCOLN AVE; Grades: PK – KG)
Library in Scarborough:
- SCARBOROUGH PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $572,389; Location: 48 GORHAM ROAD; 52,536 books; 2,302 audio materials; 3,011 video materials; 206 serial subscriptions)